Videos Said to Be of Peng Shuai Don’t Resolve Questions About Her Safety


Nearly two weeks after individuals the world over started asking “Where is Peng Shuai?,” two questionable movies surfaced Saturday on social media of an individual who seems to be the Chinese tennis star at a restaurant.

The movies have been shared on Twitter by the editor of a state-run newspaper, however the seemingly unnatural dialog in a single video and the unclear location and dates of each raised questions on Peng’s security and whether or not she was showing within the movies of her personal free will. A 3rd video, stated to be of Peng at a tennis match in Beijing, was posted about 10 hours later, on Sunday.

Peng, in a social media put up this month, accused a former high authorities official of sexually assaulting her. After the allegation, the Chinese authorities eliminated virtually all references of Peng on social media inside the nation, and Peng disappeared from public life. Her absence prompted outrage the world over, particularly from high officers and stars in tennis.

Steve Simon, the chief government of the WTA, the ladies’s skilled tennis tour, has significantly been strident, demanding verifiable proof that Peng is secure and may transfer about society as she pleases and that officers absolutely examine her allegations. If that doesn’t happen, Simon stated the WTA would cease taking part in tennis tournaments in China.

On Saturday, after the movies surfaced, Simon continued to categorical frustration with the lack to independently confirm Peng’s well-being and stated that the group’s “relationship with China is at a crossroads.”

“While it is positive to see her, it remains unclear if she is free and able to make decisions and take actions on her own, without coercion or external interference,” he stated. “This video alone is insufficient.”

Peng, 35, is the only Chinese tennis player to have attained a world No. 1 rating, in ladies’s doubles, and she or he was as soon as heralded by the Chinese authorities as a mannequin athlete.

The video clips have been posted on the Twitter account of Hu Xijin, the chief editor of The Global Times, an influential Communist Party newspaper, who described them as exhibiting Peng having dinner together with her coach and pals on Saturday.

He wrote that he had “acquired” the clips however supplied no clarification of how, and the clips appeared staged to set up the date. In the first clip, the person stated to be Peng’s coach is discussing plans together with her and asks, “Isn’t tomorrow Nov. 20?” A lady sitting subsequent to Peng corrects him and says it is going to be Nov. 21. He then repeats the date twice.

In the second clip, a lady sporting a masks, presumably Peng, is proven strolling right into a restaurant. The digicam pauses on an indication indicating the date of the final cleansing, a typical sight in Chinese buildings for the reason that SARS epidemic. But solely the month, November, is seen; the date seems to be obscured.

Hu posted a third video hours later, describing it because the opening ceremony of a teen tennis match last in Beijing on Sunday to which Peng “showed up.”

On Friday, a journalist for an additional Chinese media entity released pictures said to be of Peng in what appeared to be a bed room, surrounded by stuffed animals. In these pictures, Peng appeared youthful than she did in more moderen photos of her and there was nothing to confirm after they had been taken.

Also on Friday, Simon wrote to China’s ambassador to the United States to reiterate his complaints and his menace to take away the 9 tournaments the WTA holds in China, together with the distinguished WTA Finals in Shenzhen. All of the tournaments in China this yr have been canceled as a result of of the coronavirus pandemic. The WTA Finals have been accomplished on Wednesday in Guadalajara, Mexico.

If Peng just isn’t ready to communicate freely, Simon wrote, “we have grave concerns that any of our players will be safe in China.”

The males’s tennis tour has voiced its concern however has but to threaten to pull its tournaments from China.

The controversy surrounding Peng comes a bit of greater than two months earlier than the beginning of the Winter Olympics in Beijing, elevating the specter of one of the world’s largest sporting occasions happening in a rustic the place a three-time Olympian tennis star is lacking.

The International Olympic Committee has stated that it believes “quiet diplomacy” will present the most effective likelihood for resolving the scenario. On Friday, Dick Pound, an I.O.C. member, told Reuters that if the scenario with Peng is “not resolved in a sensible way very soon, it may spin out of control.” He added: “Whether that escalates to a cessation of the Olympic Games, I doubt it. But you never know.”

Simon has spent greater than per week attempting to set up private contact with Peng via a collection of telephone numbers and different digital contacts however has not been ready to communicate together with her.

The movies on Saturday have been the most recent media launched by a Chinese-controlled entity attempting to set up Peng’s security. Earlier this week, China’s state-owned broadcaster launched a message supposedly from her.

“Hello everyone this is Peng Shuai,” it learn. It referred to as the accusation of sexual assault, which was made simply weeks in the past, unfaithful. “I’m not missing, nor am I unsafe,” the message stated. “I’ve been resting at home and everything is fine. Thank you again for caring about me.”

Simon rapidly denounced the discharge of the message.

“I have a hard time believing that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believes what is being attributed to her,” he stated.

Peng has accused Zhang Gaoli, 75, a former vice premier of China, of sexually assaulting her at his residence three years in the past. In a put up on her verified account on Weibo, China’s model of Twitter, Peng wrote that the assault occurred after Zhang invited her to play tennis at his residence. “I was so scared that afternoon,” she stated. “I never gave consent, crying the entire time.”

She additionally described having had an on-and-off consensual relationship with Zhang.

Jen Psaki, the White House press secretary, stated on Friday that the Biden administration was paying shut consideration to the scenario and was “deeply concerned.” She referred to as on the Chinese authorities to present “independent, verifiable proof” of Peng’s whereabouts.

In latest days, a number of notable names in tennis have joined the refrain of demanding proof that Peng is secure.

“We need to see her in a live video holding up a newspaper from today or better yet, hitting balls,” Patrick McEnroe, the previous participant and ESPN commentator, stated in an interview on Friday. McEnroe coached Peng earlier in her profession in World Team Tennis.

“If none of that happens, and people I talk to say if the Chinese really don’t care about what we think, and we never hear from Peng or have a clue, the only real recourse left is for professional tennis to pull all its tournaments from China,” he stated.

Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka, Simona Halep and Coco Gauff are among the many present ladies’s gamers who’ve posted on social media about their concern for Peng. Novak Djokovic shared an announcement from the Professional Tennis Players Association, of which he’s a co-founder.

Martina Navratilova, the previous champion who defected from Czechoslovakia in 1975 to escape the communist authorities, can also be talking out about Peng.

“I don’t believe a word they are saying,” Navratilova stated of the Chinese authorities in an interview on Saturday. “There is a lot of subterfuge going on here.”





Source link