It took French police 7 hours to break up a rave that violated a pandemic curfew. One man lost a hand.

PARIS — Violent clashes erupted on Friday evening between lots of of partygoers and police officers attempting to break up an unlawful rave in western France, leaving a number of folks injured on each side, together with one man whose hand was severed.

At a information convention on Saturday morning, Emmanuel Berthier, the state’s consultant in Ille-et-Vilaine, in Brittany, the place the occasion took place, described “clashes of extreme violence” that “lasted more than seven hours.” Local authorities mentioned that about 1,500 folks had attended the rave, and that greater than 400 police officers had been mobilized.

Mr. Berthier mentioned that the police within the city of Redon had been hit with Molotov cocktails, laborious wood balls and different harmful objects, and that 5 police officers had been injured. He mentioned that the man who had lost his hand was 22 years outdated, however that the circumstances weren’t but clear.

Prosecutors in western France mentioned that the injured man had surgical procedure for amputation, and that an investigation had been opened to decide the precise circumstances of the damage. In a Twitter post with a video of a man with an injured hand being evacuated by folks within the crowd, a man who recognized himself as a freelance French journalist reported that a grenade had exploded.

The police in France have more and more been referred to as on in current months to break up illegal parties, usually ending in skirmishes with individuals. With golf equipment having been closed for the reason that starting of the pandemic final March, illegal outdoor parties have sprung up around the country, posing a problem for the native authorities.

The clashes in Redon got here simply as France is about to exit a seemingly infinite cycle of coronavirus-related restrictions that have sown a deep sense of fatigue and frustration, particularly amongst youthful folks. But with its vaccination marketing campaign effectively underway, the French authorities has mentioned that it plans to enable nightclubs to reopen in July, with particular restrictions.

The Redon rave was organized as a tribute to Steve Maia Caniço, a 24-year-old who disappeared in 2019 at a live performance that was damaged up by the police in Nantes, in western France. Friends had suspected that Mr. Caniço — who they mentioned didn’t know the way to swim — had fallen into the river with greater than a dozen different folks and drowned because the police confronted the revelers with tear fuel. The others had been rescued.

The clashes on Friday had been much more violent than these in Nantes. The native authorities had issued an order banning the gathering however organizers went forward anyway. Videos posted on-line present the police repeatedly firing tear gas at crowds who, in response, hurl gasoline bombs and other projectiles on the officers. Several hundred partygoers had been nonetheless on web site as of Saturday morning and the police had been nonetheless attempting to evict them within the afternoon.

Five males had been taken into custody as a part of an investigation into violence in opposition to police officers.

A bunch behind the rave, the collectif Maskarade, instructed the France 3 tv community that the native authorities had “an anti-youth and anti-party policy” and criticized their heavy-handed response, “all because we wanted to dance.”

Source link